If you make this recipe once, you’ll want to make it again, and chances are you’ll have plenty of leftovers to relive it for the next few days. Disclaimer, you don’t have to be doing Whole30 to enjoy these 🙂
This stuffed pepper recipe is a fun, paleo and Whole30 compliant dinner to change up the classic meat + veggies + sweet potatoes you’ve been eating all week. And if you’re not doing Whole30, this is still a unique and tasty meal to easily make and share!
Hands down, my favorite part about these stuffed peppers is the “stuffed” part. I fell in love with the ingredient combination and was delightfully surprised with how substantial this was. The ground turkey filling is to die for, and I ended up eating the leftovers plain for some meals later in the week. The guacamole topping also deserves a shout out, and was a perfect addition. Overall, these glorified peppers are healthy, they fit with your paleo/Whole30 diet, feel light yet are substantial and satisfying, and are packed with flavor.
This recipe can also be easily modified. Toss the filling into some lettuce wraps for another tasty Whole30 meal. And if you’re not doing Whole30 at all, the ground turkey mixture would be an amazing recipe for taco night in your tortillas of choice! Spinning this recipe for a ‘Taco Tuesday’ is definitely the way I intend to use it in the future.
All in all, during my stint of Whole30, these stuffed peppers were such a good choice and definitely spiced up my dinner options! Even my boyfriend liked them 😉 I will definitely be making these again soon. Below is the recipe. I hope you like!
Southwestern Turkey Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Yields: 6-8 servings
Serving size: 1-2 stuffed half peppers
4 peppers (cut in half)
½ chopped onion
3 garlic cloves minced
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 can diced tomatoes (28 oz)
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno, diced, remove seeds
½ cup cauliflower rice (I found mine at Trader Joe’s)
¼ red onion (hint: I bought pre-chopped to save some effort)
½ cup cherry tomatoes- halved
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Lightly spray Pyrex pan with cooking oil to prep for peppers
- Cut peppers in half, rinse and remove seeds
Place peppers in Pyrex pan, sliced side-up
- Sauté onion and garlic until onion is translucent
- Add ground turkey and continue sautéing
- Once turkey is cooked, add jalapeño, canned tomatoes, and cauliflower rice
- Stir in cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat when finished.
- Generously spoon the turkey sauté filling into pepper halves
- Bake stuffed peppers in oven for 30 minutes
Prepare guacamole topping while peppers are in oven:
- Mash avocado with diced red onion, lime, and chopped cherry tomatoes
- Season with salt and pepper
- Take peppers out of oven and top with guacamole. Bon appétit!